We rode a train, then a bus and finally a ferry today to the very itty bitty city of Flam. The boat took us through the lovely fjords of Flam and it was just stunning! The mountains were up around both sides and we were just gliding through a narrow channel of water. It was so cool. Thankfully the skies were clear so the view was great.
Its off season for Flam so there are VERY few people here. All four of the shops were close by 4 pm, and all the activity programs are closed (such as biking, horseback riding, small boat tours through the fjords…) so we truly have very little to do. It’s a beautiful little village but I think we will be spending plenty of time relaxing in our room tomorrow.
We had a delicious supper of potatoes, other fresh steamed veggies and salmon. Yum! It was so amazing and just felt so GOOD to eat.
Dad met a random guy from Portugal who was a student in Sweden but visiting Norway with his grandmother and mother—so of course dad feels bad that this poor guy is bored and alone and decides to take him out for a drink at the neighboring hotel (ours didn’t have a bar) and obviously makes me get out of my pajamas to come with. But it was cool visiting with … Edwardo (??)…. And it was interesting to hear about his experience in Sweden.
Day 2 in Flam was pretty great I must say. We woke up late so we ate breakfast around 10, and started to explore our surroundings at about 11. We walked 5 miles to an old abandoned farm stead that overlooked Flam fjords… it was breath taking. It was kind of funny because the little farm buildings where sitting on 4 rocks- mind you these are not brick-rocks, they were oddly shaped and they had buildings just sitting on them!
Some guy told us about a trail into the forest so we went on that for about 45 minutes. This was the best. I sang my beloved Pocahontas song here that goes like this: “All of my life I have searched for a land like this one! A wild and more challenging country I couldn’t design- hundreds of dangerous await and I don’t plan to miss one! In a land I can claim, a land I can tame, the greatest adventure is mine!!” I love John Smith… and I have been looking for an appropriate mountain to sing that on for years. It really is how I felt… Norway is remarkable and everything a person who loves the great outdoors could ever want.
We walked the 5 miles back to our hotel and rested for a few hours before supper. Supper was again amazing- pork tenderloin, veggies and delicious orange & chocolate mousse! Mmmmm! Plus I had a Fanta because drinks were included. How awesome.
Now we are on our way to Oslo. We are on what is considered the “Most beautiful train ride in the world”, and let me tell you- that is a FACT. I have never seen a more stunning view in my life. I am kind of really mad at the travel agent who told mom that there was no skiing in Norway this time of year, because we passed some incredible ski resorts that were in full run.
And we passed a glacier that was used in filming Star Wars… I wish I knew which one… it was for the scene where Harrison Ford is having a battle in the snow or something. Cool. It was the craziest view I have ever seen—it was white everywhere… I have never seen so much snow untainted by rocks, trees, or humanity. It was stunning to see ages of white with white clouds right at the edge of it all… it was also confusing to look at. :-)
However, I have been on a train for 5 ½ hours now and I want to be in Oslo. Uff da.
OHHHH!
I ate the lefse from the package. Its thick and DISGUSTING. Its not thin like ours… It was thick like a thin pancake… and it was folded not rolled… and it didn’t even taste like lefse. It was dumb and disappointing. I miss Freddy’s.
+ Our Oslo hotel has a sauna. Life is good :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment