Sunday, February 1, 2009

superbowl

Hmm- brr.  I spent about a total of 45-50 minutes outside tonight between walking and waiting for the bus.  And its about 17 F here with the windchill.  I am cold to the bone right now- I desperately wish I had brought my warm winter stuff.  The next exchange students here will be warned that its very very cold here this time of year.

I spent a lot of today in bed not feeling very well- I read a lot and worked out some details to the trip when Levi comes (we’re going to Paris & England, whoohoo!!)

But tonight I gained a lot of insight and a new perspective.  I went across town for a pre Superbowl dinner.  I have been told by several people that it’s a really bad neighborhood so I was kind of nervous. (I found out tonight it is the 2nd most dangerous area to live in)  I took a bus shortly after 7, early enough to not feel too scared… & God was definitely watching over me because some friends of mine from orientation where on the bus going to the same complex that I was!  It was the first night I was actually afraid though- some kids- 16ish- came on the bus and where throwing things at passengers- I think they might have been rocks.  I don’t know.  Then they started shoving and punching each other.  I think they were just rough housing but they were banging into passengers (including my friend) and one of the boys even had a bloody nose at the end of it.  The bus driver didn’t even do anything- and these guys where shouting and yelling and being simply awful.   I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t found Marit and Gautier.  I would have been all alone and so so scared.

Even the area that my friends lived was very trashy- really dark and very dirty- it looked super ghetto.  It made ME SO thankful for where I live.  Lots of people have told me I live in a great part of town- no crime, central, clean… but I didn’t realize it until I saw where other exchange students where living.  I have a great place to live.  And even though its tough sometimes because there are few exchange students here, I see how blessed I am to be so safe and have such a nice area.  Thankfully, another girl was going the same direction I was so I went with her and switched buses so I would only have to walk a block home.  From now on if I go out there it will be in the daylight & I will be crashing at a friends. 

However, I’m really glad I went because 2 girls I particularly enjoy were there and it gave me a chance to visit with them and get to know them more.   

I got back to my dorm in time to watch the football game in our living room.  I watched with 3 Danish boys, and a Swiss boy.  They still know more than me.  It was so fun though!  I actually got into the game- probably because it made me feel at home.   It really was SUPER depressing to not be able to eat superbowl snacks… chips and dip, popcorn, PUPPY CHOW (I told them about it and they couldn’t believe how much sugar and junk is in it), … I could go on forever.  I am going to have someone bring the ingredients for puppy chow so I can show these people what an amazing treat it is!  They don’t have enough cereal to even try to subsitute Chex.  Plus I found out they don’t sell normal peanut butter in Europe!!!??!.  How sad!   I felt like a stupid American tonight- they asked me which state Pittsburg was in, and it took my several minutes to remember if Pennsylvania or Philadelphia was the state.  I’m such an idiot!!!  I am still embarrassed. 

Its 3:00 am and I am too tired to watch any more of the game. 

No comments: