Monday, January 19, 2009

IKEA :)

I went with other International students today to IKEA.  I didn't need much so I only bought a towel and a rug that covers the gum on the floor.  They didn't have tape or sticky tack though- that was a little annoying, I really want to hang up my pictures in my room.
Stine laughed when I told her how little I got at IKEA.  (My room is SO BARE, i have nothing.) But I don't want to buy things I don't need since I am only going to be here 6 months.  I told Stine I could live without things I don't need and she said "You are totally from North Dakota."  I thought that was so fun, but she is right.  We midwesterners are like that I think.  
I am again at Stine's charging my computer.  I can't wait to get my own cord so I don't have to go across town every day just to charge this thing.  
I met a wide variety of students today: Bulgarian, Hungarian, French, Canadian, a guy from Kansas.  I especially enjoyed visiting with the Canadians and Matt (Kansas guy-- but he goes to school in Arkansas) because I didn't have to change my speech or work very hard to have the conversation.  Stine's & Yeppe's English is excellent, but it is hard to talk with some of the people on my floor because their English isn't as easy to understand.  That is especially true with the french people I've met.  I am really excited to be getting to know more people.  
I start orientation tomorrow morning.  That should be fun, other than it starts at 9 am.  I am still staying up too late because that the easiest time to talk to people... but thats a sacrifice I am totally willing to make.  
I am watching a Danish TV show right now and its hilarious.  I have no idea what they're saying but the body language is totally ridiculous.  This guy and girl have their arms out running around the room--- I really wish I knew what they were saying.
I have made some observation regarding the people here:
1.  Everyone where black, gray, white, and more black.  Colors are SO rare.  I swear everyone has black tights on with black boots, and a black jacket.
2.  The girls use warmth more than blush.  I see that the girls cheeks look more bronzed than rozy- its an interesting thing.  I am sticking to my blush for the moment but might try out the tanned glow. :)
3.  All guys look dressy.  Which is ok with me, but I like jeans and t-shirts on guys, rather than nice shirts and dressy shoes.  Its funny but I miss seeing tee shirts from Savers with old jeans and converses like all of my guy friend wear.  
4. There are so few overweight people.  I think its largely because everyone bikes & food is really expensive.  Its interesting though.  
5.  Its colder her than the Nodak.  I miss my bulky warm scarves all the time and I so wish I had brought them.  I'm going to have to buy some because I am so cold all the time.  I wear under armour every day-- I never even did that when it was like -20 back home!  Its 30 F here and I am freezing. 

Well, my computer is charged so I am going to head back and have some supper.  Noodles and yogurt.  Did I mention food is expensive?  I don't I don't know how to read labels so I don't know what to buy. :)  Oh I will learn so much.
xoxo!    

No comments: